Junior Sommelier Program (all participants completing the course receive a Junior Sommelier certificate)
- This is an introductory course that covers the history and development of olives and their use, regions and species, and a basic knowledge of taste and tasting scales.
- Even this course alone is structured to provide a more comprehensive knowledge of olive oil than any other program we know of.
Sommelier Program (all participants who have completed this course may apply to take the certifying examination to become an Olive Oil Sommelier)
- This is an advanced course that will equip participants with a broad professional knowledge to work in all aspects of food distribution and service relating to olives and olive oil.
- Lecturers are specialists in their respective fields, able to inform students of the newest processes and ideas.
- Participants learn the attitudes and skills needed to function effectively in professional settings as instructors and promoters.
These courses allow Olive Oil Sommeliers to continually update their knowledge of products and the market, and keep abreast of the constant and rapid changes in related industries.
- Tastings of olive oil and other premium oils
- Held regularly, once to several times a month
- 3-6 different oils available for tasting and discussion each time
- Basic instruction on sensory evaluation and the use of tasting scales
- Build contacts among major importers and producers
- Study tours of producing regions (in Italy, Spain, Chile, Greece, Turkey, the US, Australia, and Japan)
- Tours of oil extraction facilities
- Cultivation classes taught by olive producers
- Cooking classes taught by professional chefs and food experts
- Preparatory classes for the Olive Oil Sommelier Examination (as needed)
- Special classes on other aromatic oils and non-food uses
- Special classes on grapeseed, avocado, and linseed oils
These related subjects enhance our appreciation of olive-growing cultures and the enjoyment of olive oil.
- Foreign languages (Italian, Spanish, Greek, English, and others)
- Wine tasting and appreciation
- Spices and flavorings
- Nutrition and dietary guidance
- Food in culture and education
- Slow food
- Flower arrangement
- Other food ingredients, and other subjects as arranged